WAHMom Interview: Chatting with Roly


When I first started contemplating if I could be a WAHM I always hesitated because I wasn't sure if I could make it work and I didn't know anyone who actually worked at home and made a comfortable living.

When my close friend, Roly ventured into it and was successful it became that extra push to try it myself. I hope the interviews here will inspire you to try it as well if it's what you've been dreaming of doing.

**********

Roly once upon a time worked at a call center and was on the night shift. We all know how challenging it can be to work on the night shift but it's even harder when you have a little one waiting at home. When she found out about online jobs it was something she aspired to eventually do and I'm very happy to say has been successful at.

Roly, Mao Mao & Marley

Age: 31
Number of children: 2

What has been the best experience of being a work at home mom?
I can be with my kids 24/7 and I wouldn’t miss a moment of them growing up.

How long have you been a WAHM?
2 years and 1 & ½ months

What is your current WAHM job?
Marketing/Personal Assistant and Online English Tutor

Where did you first hear about being a WAHM?
From a very good friend

What made you decide to become a WAHM?
I used to work a graveyard shift, along with my husband, and my son was left at home with a nanny. It worried me a lot. Also, I felt like I had little time to spend with him.

What would you say are the challenges of being a WAHM?
At first, time management. Since I opted not to get a house helper, I had to divide my time doing house hold chores, taking care of the kids, and working.  Another thing is that some jobs are project based so losing a job is likely. Also, small things like black outs and internet connection problems.

What are the three things you need to be a successful WAHM?
You would need a stable internet connection, a supportive husband, and dedication because it’s not smooth sailing at first.

What online job sites would you recommend to WAHM beginners?
What is a normal day for you?
Normally, I wake up at 6 in the morning to cook breakfast and get my son ready for school. I make the bed and do the dishes then, bathe and feed my 4-month old daughter, feeding her usually every 2 hours. After that, I turn on the computer and check if there are tasks pending in my email. At 10am I would prepare food for lunch and it usually lasts until supper. When my son arrives from school, we would eat together while doing his homework. Then I continue with any pending tasks on the computer. In the afternoon, I would put my son and daughter to sleep after playtime. When they wake up we would watch cartoons and eat dinner after. At 7 in the evening, it’s time again to put my children to sleep. I would get up at 9:30pm to teach English online until midnight. Then check again for pending task in my email and continue working for an hour or two. If there’s none, I would just prepare my son’s uniform and clean some clutter around the house.

How has being a WAHM changed your life?
It made me realize that being a full time mom is as hard as working in an office (meeting deadlines and the like) but not as rewarding and fulfilling.

Words of encouragement for wannabe WAHMs
Don’t stop believing. If I did it, you can do it too.


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Good one.

Post a Comment

Click Advertise on My Blog